Arugula and Carrot Salad With Walnuts and Cheese
The best type of arugula for this salad is the feathery type called wild arugula. I love the contrast of flavors here — peppery arugula alongside sweet carrots and a nutty dressing.
- 4 cups wild or baby arugula
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons broken walnuts (1/2 ounce)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or crumbled blue cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, pureed or finely minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
1. Combine the arugula, carrots, walnuts, cheese and tarragon in a salad bowl.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the lemon juice, vinegars, salt and mustard. Whisk together, and add the garlic. Whisk in the oils.
3. Shortly before serving, toss the salad with the dressing.
Yield: Serves four to six.
Advance preparation: You can combine the salad ingredients several hours before serving and refrigerate in a covered bowl. The dressing will also hold for several hours, in or out of the refrigerator.
Nutritional information per serving (four servings): 259 calories; 25 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 4 grams cholesterol; 8 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 146 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during preparation); 4 grams protein
Nutritional information per serving (six servings): 172 calories; 16 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 3 grams cholesterol; 5 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 98 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during preparation); 2 grams protein