Cabbage and Caramelized Onion Tart
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut in half root to stem, then thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small cabbage, shredded or chopped (about 6 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup, tightly packed (2 ounces) Gruyère cheese
- 1 yeasted olive oil pie crust (1/2 recipe)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook, stirring, until they begin to sizzle and soften, about three minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt and the garlic. Stir everything together, turn the heat to low, cover and cook slowly for 45 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are very soft, sweet and light brown.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat in another large skillet. Add the cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to wilt, then add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until the cabbage is tender and fragrant. Stir in the onions, simmer together uncovered for about five minutes or until there is no longer any liquid in the pan, and remove from the heat.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9- or 10-inch tart pan and line with the dough. Beat the eggs and milk in a bowl and season with salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and pepper. Stir in the onions, cabbage and cheese, and combine well. Scrape into the tart pan, and place in the oven. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
Yield: Serves six.
Advance preparation: You can make the filling through Step 1 up to three days ahead. Refrigerate in a covered bowl.
Nutritional information per serving: 307 calories; 17 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 171 grams cholesterol; 29 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 273 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during preparation); 13 grams protein