Cauliflower Salad With Capers, Parsley and Vinegar
This tangy winter salad is likely to convert anyone who doubts just how good cauliflower can be. Make sure you steam the cauliflower until thoroughly tender so that it absorbs the dressing. The dish is lovely with a mix of colorful cauliflowers, but can look nice with the standard white variety.
- 1 large or 2 small to medium cauliflowers, broken into florets; or about 6 cups mixed white, orange, green and purple cauliflower
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (to taste), minced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or Champagne vinegar (to taste)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place the cauliflower in a steaming basket over one inch of boiling water; cover and steam one minute. Lift the lid for 15 seconds, then cover again and steam for six to eight minutes until tender. Refresh with cold water, then drain on paper towels.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, parsley, capers, vinegar and olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and toss together. Marinate, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes if possible before serving. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature.
Yield: Serves 6 as a starter or side dish
Advance preparation: You can make this up to a day ahead, but omit the parsley until shortly before serving so that it doesn’t fade. It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to five days.