Curried Brown Rice and Wheatberry Salad
I’ve always liked tossing grains in a creamy, curry-laced dressing. And I’ll jump at any excuse for using phytochemical-rich turmeric. Turmeric is present in most pre-mixed curry powders; I’ve added an extra pinch to this dressing.
- 2 cups, tightly packed, cooked brown rice
- 2 cups, tightly packed, cooked spelt or wheatberries
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 broccoli crown, broken into small florets and steamed four minutes
- 1/4 cup chopped or slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder (more to taste)
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pureed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Lettuce leaves or radicchio leaves for serving (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the grains and remaining salad ingredients.
2. In a medium bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, curry powder, turmeric, chili powder, salt and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil and the yogurt. Taste and adjust seasoning. Toss with the grains. Serve on lettuce or radicchio leaves if desired.
Yield: Serves six.
Advance preparation: The grains freeze well and will keep for three or four days in the refrigerator. Steamed broccoli will keep for two or three days in the refrigerator. You can assemble the salad through step 1 hours before you make the dressing and toss the salad.
Nutritional information per serving: 341 calories; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 1 milligram cholesterol; 52 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 208 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during cooking); 12 grams protein