Curried Rice and Quinoa Salad
I’ve made this mixed-grains salad using both regular brown rice and brown basmati rice. I like the lightness of the basmati brown rice, but I also enjoy the chewiness of regular brown rice.
- 3/4 cup basmati brown rice, or 1 cup regular long grain or short grain brown rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup quinoa, preferably red quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 apple, cored, cut in small dice and tossed with 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Hellmann’s or Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound broccoli florets, steamed for four or five minutes and refreshed with cold water
1. Combine all of the salad ingredients.
2. Whisk together the yogurt or buttermilk, mayonnaise, lime juice, Dijon mustard, curry powder, cayenne and salt to taste. Whisk in the oil, and toss with the salad. Garnish with the broccoli florets, and serve.
Yield: Serves six.
Advance preparation: You can make this several hours before serving, and keep in the refrigerator. Leftovers keep well for a few days.