Lavash Pizza With Greens, Baby Broccoli and Mushrooms
I used a mix of packaged sturdy greens and baby broccoli for this substantial pizza, but you could also use rapini.
- 1/2 pound sturdy greens (kale or collards, or a mix)
- 1/4 pound baby broccoli tops
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup, tightly packed (2 ounces) grated Gruyère or fontina cheese
- 1 9-by-12-inch lavash
1. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the greens and the broccoli tops. Blanch for three minutes, then transfer to a bowl of ice water and drain. Squeeze out excess water and chop. Set aside.
2. Heat the oven to 375 degrees, preferably with a pizza stone in it. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy nonstick pan. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring or shaking often in the pan, for two minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds to a minute until fragrant. Add the greens, stir together for a minute and remove from the heat. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Place the lavash on a baking sheet, and sprinkle on the cheese in an even layer. Top with the greens. Drizzle on the remaining olive oil, and place the pizza in the oven. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until the edges of the lavash are crisp and browned. Remove from the heat, cut in half or into squares and serve.
Variation: Instead of greens and baby broccoli, use 3/4 pound rapini. Trim the ends, blanch as above and chop.
Yield: Serves two.
Advance preparation: You can prepare the greens and mushrooms through Step 2 several hours or even a day before you assemble the lavash pizza. The blanched greens will keep for four days in the refrigerator.
Nutritional information per serving: 423 calories; 24 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 31 milligrams cholesterol; 35 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 403 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during preparation); 17 grams protein