Lemon Basil Salad Dressing
- About 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons mild honey (to taste)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the basil in the bowl of a mini food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and honey, and pulse several times until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the olive oil and process until emulsified. Taste and adjust honey and salt. Serve right away to preserve the color.
Note: To make this dressing in a mortar and pestle, grind the basil leaves, then add the remaining ingredients and work together until smooth.
Yield: 1/2 cup.
Advance preparation: This is best if you serve it soon after you make it, as the color of the basil will not remain bright in the presence of lemon juice.
Nutritional information per tablespoon: 96 calories; 10 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 2 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during preparation); 0 grams protein