Purslane Salad With Mushrooms, Walnuts and Olives
This crunchy salad is about as high in omega-3 fats as a salad can be.
- 1 generous bunch purslane, thick stems cut away (about 4 cups), washed and dried
- 6 medium-size cremini or white mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed and sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery (from the heart of the celery)
- 1 tablespoon minced celery leaves
- 1/4 cup broken walnuts
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and halved (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, green shoot removed, minced or pureed
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
1. Combine the purslane, mushrooms, celery, celery leaves, walnuts, olives and feta in a large salad bowl.
2. Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, olive oil and pepper. Toss with the salad and serve.
Yield: Serves six.
Advance preparation: This salad can be assembled and refrigerated for several hours. Toss just before serving. Leftovers won’t get too soggy, due to the succulent nature of the purslane.