Savory Cheese Muffins
These have the appeal of both a muffin and a grilled cheese sandwich. If your child will eat these with the peppers baked in, all the better.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 21/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large or extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack in the middle. Oil or spray 10 muffin cups. Sift together the flours, salt and baking powder.
2. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl, and beat in the milk, buttermilk, canola oil and olive oil. Stir in the cheese. Quickly fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the bell pepper, if using.
3. Spoon into muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes in the cups. Remove and cool on a rack.
Yield: Ten muffins.
Advance preparation: These will be good for a couple of days and can be frozen. Thaw overnight or in the microwave.