Scrambled Eggs a la Provencale
Make these salmon-colored eggs for an impromptu late-night supper or brunch. They are simply scrambled eggs to which you have added a small amount of tomato sauce. The sauce adds a dimension of flavor and a velvety texture.
- 8 large or extra-large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh basil or chopped chives
1. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the salt, pepper, and fresh tomato sauce and whisk together.
2. Heat a heavy saucepan or nonstick skillet over low heat and add the olive oil. When it is hot (but not too hot this is gentle cooking), add the egg mixture, scraping in every last bit with a rubber spatula. Cook slowly over low heat, stirring gently and scraping the eggs from the bottom of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, until the eggs are just set. Stir in the basil or chives. Serve hot, with toast.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Pantry and Refrigerator Staples:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and whole peppercorns