Scrambled Eggs With Peppers, Tomatoes and Potatoes
These Tunisian-inspired eggs make a satisfying one-dish meal. The eggs are spiced with cayenne or harissa, ground caraway and coriander.
- 1/2 pound boiling potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound mixed green and red bell peppers (2 large peppers), seeded and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, puréed in a mortar with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound tomatoes, seeded and grated on the large holes of a grater, or peeled, seeded and diced; or 1/2 of a 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more to taste) or 1 teaspoon harissa
- 6 to 8 eggs, beaten
1. Steam the potatoes in a steamer placed over one inch of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about three minutes. Add the peppers. Cook, stirring, until the peppers begin to soften, about five minutes. Stir in the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about one minute. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, ground caraway and coriander seeds, and cayenne or harissa. Stir together. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring often for 20 to 30 minutes, until the mixture is cooked down and the peppers are very tender. Stir in the potatoes, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt to taste. Stir into the vegetables. Cook until the eggs are scrambled, stirring every few seconds to create large curds. Remove from the heat, and serve.
Yield: Serves four.
Advance preparation: The vegetable mixture can be made through Step 2 several hours or even a day ahead. Reheat and proceed with Step 3.
Nutritional information per serving (based on six eggs): 262 calories; 15 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 317 milligrams cholesterol; 22 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 116 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during preparation); 13 grams protein