Summer Salad with Feta
- 5 medium or large ripe tomatoes cut into wedges (if large, the wedges should be cut crosswise in half), or 1 pint of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 European cucumber, or 1 Persian or Japanese cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, seeded if desired, then sliced into half circles about 1/3-inch thick.
- Sea salt or fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Toss together the tomatoes, cucumber, salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil. Add the feta and herbs, and toss again. Taste, adjust the seasonings, and serve.
Variations: Add any or all of the ingredients below:
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced and rinsed with cold water
- 12 to 18 imported Greek black olives, such as kalamatas or amphisas
- 1 small green, yellow, or red bell pepper
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, cut in 2-inch pieces
- A handful of cubed stale bread or croutons
You can assemble the salad hours before adding the seasonings, vinegar, and olive oil. Be warned: If you salt the salad too long before serving, it will become watery, as the salt draws out juices from the vegetables.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Approximate nutritional information: 163 calories; calories from fat: 129; total fat: 14.3g; saturated fat 3.8g; cholesterol 13mg; sodium 175mg; total carbohydrates 6.7g; dietary fiber 1.7g; sugars 4.4g; protein:3.4g